A debit card PIN (Personal Identification Number) transaction involves the cardholder using their debit card to make a purchase and verifying the transaction by entering a secret PIN. Here's how the process works:
- Card Insertion or Swiping: The cardholder inserts the debit card into a card reader, uses a mobile wallet, or swipes it at a point-of-sale or ATM terminal.
- PIN Entry: The cardholder enters their confidential PIN on the keypad to authenticate the transaction. This is a security measure to ensure that the person using the card is the legitimate cardholder.
- Authorization: The point-of-sale terminal communicates with the bank or financial institution that issued the debit card to seek transaction authorization.
- Transaction Approval or Decline: After PIN verification, the transaction is either approved, with funds deducted from the cardholder’s account, or declined due to insufficient funds or other issues.
Debit Card PIN Setup
Cardholders will be required to set up the PIN during debit card activation, following the instructions given by the program. The PIN can be set up via the program’s app. The cardholder will need to enter the PIN at the point-of-sale for in-person PIN Debit Card purchases or when withdrawing or depositing cash at approved ATMs.
Debit Card PIN Blockage
- If the cardholder enters the incorrect PIN three times at a point-of-sale terminal or ATM, the card will be temporarily blocked for 24 hours to protect the cardholder’s account.
- The cardholder can continue to use the debit card for PIN-less transactions (where the debit card is used to make a purchase without entering the PIN) at the point-of-sale terminal or for online purchases.
How to Unblock/Reset Debit Card PIN?
There are two ways in which a debit card PIN can be unblocked or reset:
- If the cardholder enters the incorrect PIN three times, the card will be temporarily blocked for 24 hours. After this period, it will be automatically reactivated.
- The cardholder can reset the PIN via the program’s app. Upon resetting the PIN, they will be able to immediately make PIN transactions at the point-of-sale and approved ATM locations.
Programs can subscribe to the following webhook notifications to receive updates from Solid regarding PIN block and unblock activities for any cardholder communication.
Programs may choose to notify cardholders, for example, through a text message or email, informing them about multiple unsuccessful PIN attempts and the temporary block for security reasons.
Below is a sample webhook notification: